Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Makeover

We are giving our bedroom a face lift.

Our bedroom, I know now, is 12'x12' (I had to calculate how much wallpaper to buy).  It is, I believe, the second-smallest bedroom in the house.  However, we chose it for three important reasons:

1. It is on the ground floor
2. It is the only room in the house with two closets
3. It is on the ground floor.

I've been wanting to repaint and paper it for a long time, but it took me several years to gird up my loins and actually go through with it, because of the enormous hassle of moving out the furniture and emptying out my closet and moving the waterbed and sleeping in the guest room for the duration...but we finally did it.

Here is what it looked like before we started:




There were two different kinds of wallpaper on the walls.  Two had a neutral paper that peels off intact and is so sturdy it can then be used to protect the floor when you're painting.  Similar paper was used in other rooms in this house and we have a stack of it in the basement.  The other two walls have a more "normal" type of paper which is basically going to stay right where it is.  I know, you're not supposed to do that.   However, I scraped and peeled about six layers of wallpaper off the living room walls when I first renovated that room, and so I don't feel bad for leaving up one layer of paper.  Besides, the wallpaper is holding this house together, so those two walls will just have a little extra stability.

We started painting the woodwork.  Here's what it looks like now:





On the door, you can still see the original paint color.  The new color is quite a bit darker.

I'm hoping that by next week I'll be able to start wallpapering, at least in the bedroom (the closet is another story - there is almost as much work in there as in the room itself and it's NOT that big a closet).  Check back for more news on this scintillating stage in our lives....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home, sweet home

Home, sweet home